There are many ways for you to get involved with our efforts around the world depending on your interests and level of commitment:
- Become a Bicycle Mayor
- Find a Bicycle Mayor in your city
- Learn about the Bicycle Citizens Network
- Promote the network and our work
Scroll down to learn more about each opportunity.
Become a Bicycle Mayor
1. Prior to applying, learn more about the role, the network, and some tips when applying.
2. Complete the application.
a. Gather 3 letters of endorsement from key stakeholders. Use the Letter of Endorsement Template to create your letter (or make your own) and use the Endorsement Letter Request to notify the person making the endorsement.
b. Use the list of questions to prepare your answers.
c. Once you have the 3 letters of endorsement and have prepared your answers, fill in the online form. Applications cannot be saved and must be completed and submitted in one session.
3. Completed applications will be evaluated by a committee of BYCS staff and, when relevant, Bicycle Mayors, that meet weekly.
4. At the meeting, the committee members will decide to Approve, Deny, or Request More Information. Applicants should receive a response to their submission within a week.
5. If a Request for More Information is made, the applicant may submit the requested information and the application will then be re-evaluated based on this new information at the following meeting.
Find a Bicycle Mayor in Your City
There are a number of reasons to have a Bicycle Mayor in your city, but not everyone has the skills, time, or motivation to be a Bicycle Mayor. You or your organization can still get involved by committing to help us find a Bicycle Mayor in your city. Fill out the form below and we will send you a toolkit consisting of a helpful guide to the process as well as templates to help you promote the campaign. The process usually takes 4-8 weeks from initial planning to the official announcement. The organizing indiviudal or authority can decide what level of involvement they want to have.
Bicycle Citizens Network
The Bicycle Citizens Network is a new platform uniting cycle advocates and mobilizing the enthusiasm surrounding the Bicycle Mayor Network.
It helps distribute open source cycling advocacy and build unity between local movements. It is for anyone who is passionate about our mission and vision but doesn’t have the time or experience to become a Bicycle Mayor.
Read more, sign up to be part of the network and get access to Bicycle Citizens cycle advocacy tools.
Promote the Network and Our Work
Help spread the word about BYCS and the Bicycle Network in your country, region, city, or organization. The more people that hear about it, the more people will want to get involved, and the closer we will get to our mission of having half of all city trips by bicycle by the end of the decade. We are all in this together!